I've also been able to use the fruit and jars to trade for other things. I traded some plums for several boxes of unused canning lids. I then traded that same person more plums for some canned asian plum sauce she made from the first batch of plums. I came across someone who needed quart size jars but only had jelly size jars so we traded a few dozen of each straight across. I met a girl who was looking for a place to pick apples and took her apple picking with me in exchange for pint size jars. My mother-in-law gave me a large water bath canner (the one my mom gave me developed a leak so I really needed a new one). A friend gave me a new dehydrator she never used. I was set and somewhat in disbelief that everything kind of just came to me when I needed it!!! I've been canning, dehydrating, juicing, freezing and eating a lot of fruit over the past several weeks. There will be much more canning and preserving over the next several more weeks and I can't wait!!!
Here are some of the photos I've taken from the past few weeks of us going over to pick fruit and some pictures of what I've done with the fruit...pictures are in no particular order.
Fruit leather!
Apples and plums! We only have to walk two blocks to go picking. One day my sister came with us and we took the double stroller for the kids and the wagon for the fruit.
Chillin' under the apple tree
The first few times I went to pick fruit, it was just Ezra and I while Esperanza was at school.
Dried plums, apples, peaches and cherries
Apple butter - I eat this stuff by the spoonful
Delicious apples
One of several pear trees. I'll be back for these soon
Ezra picking apples
My apple picking helpers
Digging in the dirt
Plums
Tire swinging and playing
They found the unripe grapes and had to try them
Amazing backyard! The kids love running and playing in the yard every time we go.
Mary helped pick plums one day
Butter!!!
A gallon of raw local fresh honey - sweeeeet!
The disaster of making seedless blackberry jam. My juicer will never be the same, but man it was worth it!
Seedless blackberry jam - made with local berries (one batch sweetened with local honey)
I made spiced plum jam with some of the plums
Applesauce made in the crockpot, canned and in the pantry now



























No comments:
Post a Comment