Yesterday, while we were outside cleaning up the yard, Esperanza found a caterpillar. She wanted to keep it. She's found lots of caterpillars in the past, but never asked to keep one. I agreed. It would be a fun and educational opportunity. She named her caterpillar Arial. I talked to her about the lifecycle of a butterflies. We made a home for Ariel with leaves, sticks and dirt inside of a container. We made a lid with air holes in it and then needed a place for it to be placed for the next few months (after doing some research, I discovered that caterpillars found in Fall will transform into the pupa and will not emerge until Spring). Great, I didn't realize what I was getting into and thought we'd have a moth or butterfly in just a few weeks. Oh well. Hopefully we can keep Ariel alive through the whole metamorphosis process then release her once she emerges with wings.
So, today we placed Arial and her home on the nature table along with a few other 'fall' items. The caterpillar, along with the dozens of chicken feathers, is the biggest difference in this years Fall nature table compared to other years. Fall is my favorite season so our nature table will make several transformations over the next few months with pumpkins, leaves, nuts, sticks, feathers, rocks, pine cones, candles and other fall themed or colored items as well as Halloween decor and any other random thing or item Esperanza and Ezra will collect while out and about. Oh, and Ariel will probably go into the garage once she becomes a pupa (to prevent her from emerging too soon).
Our caterpillar in her home next to some leaves Ezra collected
A bowl of 'seasonal' yarn adds a little warmth to the space
acorns, pine cones, feathers, moss, rocks, sea shells and walnut shells



No comments:
Post a Comment