Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Peachy

We've been eating a lot of peaches lately. In a typical year, I might eat half a dozen peaches, If I'm lucky. This year, I've surpassed that several times over. The kids, my sister and I went peach picking a few weeks ago, then my mom and I each bought a box of peaches at a stand on the side of the road last weekend. I might have bought a few peaches here and there at a grocery store too. Besides eating them fresh, I've canned a couple dozen jars of them, dehydrated a bunch, juiced a few, infused some in ice water and still have 8 or 9 left to do something with before they go bad. I experimented a lot with canning - some in light syrup, some in heavy syrup (that was the batch Esperanza added a little more sugar than I had planned. After tasting them, she says they taste like candy). I canned a batch in honey as well as a batch in a Hibiscus syrup. I have various sizes of cans various sizes of peaches - halved, quartered, sliced and diced. The total amount of peaches - roughly 50 pounds! Not sure how peach canning is supposed to subsidize the cost of food later this year since I don't usually buy canned peaches to begin with. They will have to replace blueberries I suppose since I didn't get nearly as many to freeze as I usually do. 

~Here are some peachy pictures~








 This was Ezra's first peach I think. He devoured it! When I went to try to help him turn the peach around to avoid the pit, I think he growled at me. Needless to say, Ezra loves his peaches.





 Mary and The Giant Peach
 He was practicing his peach pitching skills







No comments: