Ezra is 15 months old!
Ezra spends a good part of most of his days playing in a big dirt pile in our front yard with a bunch of big old metal Tonka trucks, some buckets and shovels. He loves dirt. We dug out some rose bushes right off of my porch in the front yard to accommodate his intense need for dirt play. He gets very dirty and enjoys every minute of it. When Esperanza was his age, she got a bath maybe once a week. Ezra gets a bath every single night because of how dirty he gets. As hard as I try to keep him outside while he's dirty, it doesn't work very well - my house is dirt-y. Ezra's other obsessions include rocks, containers full of water, picking petals off of flowering plants, planes, big trucks and tractors, utensils, toothbrushes, our chickens as well as the eggs they lay.
Ezra is very brave when it comes to climbing and heights, yet is terrified when he encounters animals or small bugs (with our chickens being one of a few exceptions). He is frightened by fuzzy hand puppets and stuffed animals that make noises but will dive face first into concrete without hesitation. He is a thrower with no awareness yet of the damage his actions cause. Esperanza and I have both learned the hard way that we should quickly duck or run if we see a rock or other object in his hand that can't be taken away quick enough. He is also very dangerous when he gets his hands on any kind of stick, pole, piece of bamboo, broom or other long item. He is not allowed to play with the kid size mini-broom we have because he has learned to use it as a tool to knock things off of high surfaces. Same goes for the butterfly catcher and fishing net. He has no interest in using them for their originally intended purpose.
I have not kept track of all of the words he says or when exactly he began saying them. I do however know that the first word I remember understanding him saying was bubble. About a month or two ago. Yes, bubble. Not mama or papa - bubble. Bubbles really are everywhere: boiling water, the bubble machine we have, bath bubbles, bubbles from the 5 gallon water jug that sometimes spits a big bubble up to the top, bubbles from soaps, spit bubbles, when you blow into water with a straw you make bubbles, bubbles (or air pockets) in canned goods, etc. If you don't notice bubbles, he will let you know where they are by pointing at it and saying 'bubble'! Other words include mama, papa, chicken, yeah, help, thank you and agua - none ever said on demand. He actually says several dozen other words but you can't really count them or even understand them yet. He will often repeat a word I say, but it doesn't come out very clear. He has the syllables down, but still needs a lot of practice with consonants. His best form of communication is the head shake yes/no as well as the finger pointing to something accompanied with the caveman grunt which could indicate anything from 'I want that' to 'feed me'.
Ezra has 8 teeth: 5 on top and 3 on the bottom. I just noticed the 5th top one earlier this evening and it's a molar! About 1/3 of the way done coming in. Not sure how I missed that one. He naps for 2 hours every day, from about noon to 2. He goes to sleep around 7:30 or 8 at night and gets up around 6:30 or 7 in the morning. He sleeps next to me and wakes a few times at night to nurse then goes back to sleep. Armando and I often takes turns getting up with Ezra in the morning. On mornings Armando gets up with him, he takes Ezra in the stroller for walks. Usually they drive up to Lacamas Lake or somewhere along the Columbia River and can be gone for a couple of hours (he NEVER takes pictures of these little adventures that happen a few times ever week - arrrg). Other times they stay close and just walk around the neighborhood, or to the store to get a coffee or a snack. I crawl back into bed with Esperanza to get a little bit of babyless sleep. On days I get up with Ezra, I cook him and I a yummy hot breakfast and we sit and play on the living room floor. His favorite food would have to be oatmeal!









No comments:
Post a Comment