Sunday, December 20, 2009

Nutcracker & A School Winter Celebration

Earlier this month we went to a couple of kid events. My best friend Val's daughter Annabelle was one of the lucky ones chosen to be in the Vancouver Dance Theater's production of The Nutcracker. After a couple months of some serious practices, the little kids put on an amazing performance! We sat in the second to the front row and had a wonderful view of all the little kids on the stage. I debated on bringing Esperanza to the event but eventually decided to. She absoultely LOVED it! She was in awe of the lights, music, dancers and the entire show. The majority of the time she just sat on my lap or Mando's and watched closely. She did try a few times to climb up on the stage with the dancers (maybe we have a future ballerina on our hands). Towards the end she did get a little stir crazy and I had to leave the auditorium to let her run around with all the other toddlers who had the same urge. We kind of left in a hurry and missed seeing Annabelle and taking some pictures of her. The pictures below I borrowed from Val's Facebook (thanks!).
Annabelle in her mouse costume
In her Arabian costume with her mama ValCongrats Annabelle! You're a great dancer and helped make this perfomance of The Nutcracker one of the best!

A few days later our niece Gizelle and our nephew Brandon had their winter school program for Sarah J. Anderson. We've gone to a few events at this school in the past and I have to say that this is a really neat school from what I've seen! Especially considering it is a public school. For the Winter Program, each class was dressed up differently for one of the many holidays that occurs during the winter season. The classes danced and sang songs for each holiday: Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Los Posadas, Thanksgiving, Winter Solstice and New Years Eve. It was a beautiful performance! My camera isn't great for taking long distance shots of kids dancing, but I did my best...

Brandon Gizelle
Esperanza laying on her cousin Addy's legs enjoying the performance

No comments: