Monday, December 31, 2012

Closing Out 2012

I'm done with 2012! Here are the last of our adventures, stories and pictures from last year I feel compelled to add on to my blog for the year (mostly from Oct-December-ish time).

Esperanza has been practicing writing her name. I work with her almost every day. Every single kid in her class in preschool can write their name, but she can't. And it's her second year of preschool, unlike most the other kids in her class. Poor kid, her name is so long making it very difficult to learn and memorize. I went through the same thing though. She has a really tough time, but she is getting better, and I don't push it. All in good time. I love the backwards and upside down letters. I write her name and she writes each letter underneath. She refuses to do the lower case letters.

Rafa comes over to our house often to spend the day and will sometimes stay the night. He's a trooper when it comes to eating what is served at my house. He will usually tell me he doesn't want to eat whatever it is I'm cooking, but will always clear his plate once it's in front of him. One night, I served corn with the main meal and he kept saying he didn't like corn. I told him he still needed to eat it, so he did. That night, he got up and puked. No fever, not sick, just vomit then back to sleep. When I told his mom the next day, her first question was "did he eat corn?" Uh-oh!

His mom told me this cute little story: She told her kids it was time for dinner one evening. Apparently she rarely if ever use the word 'dinner' at home, they just say they are going to eat. When Eva said this, Rafa replied back to his mom, "Dinner?! That's what they do at Esperanza's house - dinner, dinner and green beans!" I can't stop laughing about it.
Mom and her 17+ year old cat Callie. She isn't doing too well and probably won't be around much longer (Callie that is...).
Awww
The ladies trying to sneak in through the back door into my kitchen where they must know there is food
Esperanza and Lucy
Not sure whats going on here
Ezra feeding the chickens some oats
Grandma Angelina & Esperanza Christmas evening at our house after the big get together
Armando is officially done with school! He 'graduated' with his Master In Business Administration. I'm not sure if he'll actually participate in the graduation ceremony this Spring because it's just too darn expensive! Either way, he's done and passed his classes with a 3.5 GPA. What might he do with that expensive MBA degree we will be making payments on for the rest our lives? Well, he just applied and interviewed for a job that pays just over minimum wage and located on the other side of town. Beggers can't be choosers. Wish him luck! And me! Not sure how I will handle the little rascals all by myself if he gets a real job.
Thanksgiving at moms: Angelica, me, mom, Geneva, Mary (Ezra at the bottom)
Our Lucy
I love this action shot of my princess hula hoopin
I haven't knitted much this year...this might be the only successful knitting project I complete in all of 2012
We had a major dental issue this year this year, despite our healthy teeth cleaning habits. A cavity developed on one of Esperanza's back molars and went all the way into the root. To make a long and stressful story short, I decided to go ahead and conform to the dentists recommendation and get the root canal done. Root canal on a 4 year old?!? Yup...they do that! Trust me, I spent countless hours researching an alternative solution. The other option would have been to pull it, but more serious long term problems could have developed with that option. Now, we are focusing even more than usual on preventing any further cavities. Esperanza, like me, has very weak and thin teeth, with almost clear tooth enamel towards the edges of her teeth making them more susceptible to decay. I feel so bad, and am overwhelmed with how to strengthen her teeth. It's a process we're not giving up on. It's not just about brushing, flossing and avoiding sugary drinks/foods. Oh it's so much more than that...it gives me a headache just thinking about it...
She did so well at the dentist!!!
Before the root canal. The bottom back left molar is now a shiny stainless steel cap. It will be there until she's about 12, when her adult molar comes in to replace it. You can also see how weak her top front teeth are here too, one already having a chip in it. If I could get Ezra to sit still for a similar picture, you'd see that his teeth are completely opposite - he has huge chompers - super thick, bright white and beyond healthy - like his dads.
Group pictures!
I think this was my birthday, Esperanza had me wear her tiara that day. By the looks of Ezra's shirt, I'm guessing he was having some teething issues.
Esperanza is now the only girl in a class room full of boys. For the past couple of months, we've had a really hard time motivating Esperanza to go to school. She doesn't want to go. Once she's there, her teacher tells me she has a good time. But getting her out the door each morning is like pulling teeth out! Not even half way through her second year of preschool and already burnt out. I'm second guessing if I did the right thing by starting her in school so young. 
Ezra coloring - he eats the crayons usually, but will sometimes create a nice piece of artwork. I got him water colors for Christmas, wish me luck!

No comments: