Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Our Christmas - Part 1

We gathered at my moms house on Christmas Eve. It was our usual cozy and comfortable gathering. We all contributed different yummy dishes to the dinner and dessert menu. Our families are growing, not just in numbers, but in sizes of the children. Teens, toddlers as well as the furry pets have outnumbered the rest of us and take up more space than they used to. Small spaces bring us all comfortably closer and closer together.























When we got home that evening, we let the kids open one gift from under the tree. They chose the gifts their Aunt Eva gave them (Rafa's mama). 



 Blocks for Ezra and a Barbi for Esperanza
 yet they ended up reading...
Christmas morning


 We had a few 'un-grateful moments'. The look on Esperanza's face in many of these pictures are priceless.
It was ALL or nothing with this girl. She either LOVED it or HATED it. 


 Ezra loved his new (used) Strider balance bike!
 It'll take awhile to get the 'balance' of things. I'll post a video later.
Esperanza had been asking for a doll house for month and months and months. We looked at a few together because she's very opinionated, and I wanted to get her what she wanted, not what I wanted for her. After looking at several online with her, I ordered one of the ones she said she liked. So I thought. Santa brought the kids each one gift. The bike for Ezra and this doll house for Esperanza. She was disappointed. Said it wasn't the one she wanted. Rolled her eyes and walked away from the box after she took the wrapping paper off. I'll spare you the detailed list of mixed feelings that swarmed over me regarding her reaction.
 And then she acted as though she didn't get any gifts
Ezra enjoyed his Thomas train
Eventually Esperanza warmed up to the doll house and we put it together
Not too warm of course. She said she'll only play with it if Ezra does. I thought that was just the best idea ever since she's usually fighting with him over her things. I'll probably have to remind her of those words often.
Ezra got paints, crayons and construction paper
 Stockings!!!
 Another expressive reaction from Esperanza
Armando got me this beautiful enameled cast iron dutch oven!
The mood lifted and we all got over the doll house disappointment within a few moments. The kids played with all of their new things, we ate puffed oven pancakes for breakfast and lazed around most of the morning and early afternoon. After several unsuccessful attempts to put Ezra down for a nap, we got dressed and ready to head over to Armando's family Christmas gathering.


No comments: