Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Worms

My kids love books. Each of them differently.

Esperanza loves to look at books. She likes the 'novelty' of having a book with pictures of princesses, unicorns, a movie or character she's familiar with, etc. She likes to sit by herself and look through books. I'll listen to her reading softly to herself, or even to Ezra at times. She creates her own stories, sometimes in Spanish. Often, we'll go to the library and check out half a dozen books for her, yet all she does with them is put them on the book shelf when we get home, enjoying the fact that they are there. Most often, only one or two actually gets opened. But if I ask her is we should return it, she objects. I ask her if she wants me to read a book to her and she ALWAYS says no. It's very, very rare that she wants to sit down with me to actually read a book. I still have high hopes that this is just a phase she's going through and eventually she will enjoy being read to more often. Part of the reason I think that? Because of Ezra.

Ezra loves me to read to him. He will often grab a book and climb up on my lap with a desire to be read to. He enjoys all books. Especially Esperanza's princess books and any animal books. Being the loving siblings that they are, Esperanza and Ezra are constantly at battle to get me to themselves, and become jealous if one is getting attention while the other is not. Because of this, Esperanza has decided she likes to be read to as well. Not as often, but more than before.

Esperanza and Rafa reading books together

Christmas Eve - reading books

One of Ezra's favorite books is this hard page animal book. He loved it so much, it's in pieces now.



 Of course she'll let other people read to her.
I'm currently reading a few different books myself...one of them is this one. I'm researching and playing with the idea of homeschooling. It's a little overwhelming as far as where to start with my research. I decided this book was as a good start as any. Bet you can't guess which child of mine prompted this great read...

No comments: