Thursday, March 1, 2012

Black Bean Brownies

Lately, my life consists of mostly cooking and cleaning...then more cooking and cleaning. An hour or two of sleep here and there, then more cooking & cleaning. It's an endless cycle. If I could have a maid and a chef, I'd be smitten. We've kept ourselves cooped up too much this winter I think, otherwise, I'd be smitten regardless. Since cleaning isn't very interesting and I need to start posting something on my blog, I've decided it's time to share some recipes.

These brownies brought a smile to my face, as well as Esperanza's. She never knew black beans were in them, even though she helped make them. When we got to the part where I added beans and she asked me what they were (which was odd, because we eat black beans in recipes quite often), without even thinking about it, and because she kinda set me up, a little white lie escaped my mouth and I said they were chocolate beans. Her eyes got big and she asked if she could taste one. I gave her one, and as she chewed on it. Her eyes got even bigger, she made the 'Mmmmm' sound and asked for more. Ha! I don't know if she was kidding herself or me, as black beans don't taste the least bit like chocolate, and she knows what chocolate tastes like. I assure you, these brownies DO NOT taste like black beans. They taste like sweet, moist chocolate brownies, and will exceed your expectations.

And Here's The Recipe

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can, rinsed and drained)
3 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter OR coconut oil*
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sugar OR equivalent sweetener like honey
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)

*If you use unsalted beans and unsalted butter, add 1/8 teaspoon salt to this recipe.

Instructions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor bowl or blender, combine the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, and sugar. Pulse or blend until smooth (or as smooth as possible).

2. Grease an 8x8-inch glass baking dish. Pour the batter into the greased dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts (if using) over the top and use a spatula to push them down into the batter just a little (but not too much; they will sink some while the brownies bake).

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until brownies are set in the middle. Watch the edges for excess browning if you're not sure they're done. (Mine seem to take a full 50 minutes, and are still chewy but not gooey.)

Cool and then chill before serving! Store in fridge.

No comments: