These scones remind me of the freshly baked scones I used to buy on some mornings from the local cafe/bakery across the street from where I used to work a few years ago. They are so yummy. Is there anything nutritious about them? Nope, not a thing.
While at the grocery store the other day, I came across this lemon curd and decided I had to buy it and had to make scones to put it on. I dug up a scone recipe a friend sent to me not too long ago and baked them for breakfast this morning. They turned out just as I'd hoped, flaky and delicious. Oh and that lemon curd is fabulous! I'll need to find another use for it besides scones. Maybe lemon bars or cookies of some sort...
Breakfast Scones Recipe
Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dried Cranberries or other dried fruit (optional)
*If you don't have buttermilk on hand, add 3/4 tablespoon white vinegar, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to 3/4 cup milk. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and you now have buttermilk.
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place oven rack in middle of oven
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Add the buttermilk, cranberries or other dried fruit (if adding) and the vanilla extract tot he flour mixture and stir until the dough comes together. Do not over mix.
3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently and form into a 7 inch round that is about 1 inch thick. Use a 2 1/2 inch round biscuit cutter to cut the dough into circles. Or separate the dough and form wedge shaped scones. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet and brush the tops of them with a little milk.
4. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Spread lemon curd on the tops or eat as they are. Can be stored at room temperature for a few days.
Makes about 10 - 2 1/2 inch or 8 wedge-shaped scones
No comments:
Post a Comment