Monday, December 19, 2011

Festive Moments

Holiday Cookies

We baked ginger bread people cookies. Esperanza loved using the rolling pin. She was good at it too It was an improptu baking day and I didn't have anything to use as frosting or decorations (besides those two chocolate chip eyes). Esperanza didn't know any different though. They turned out pretty good.Gingerbread House
During Ezra nap time one afternoon, Esperanza and I put together a gingerbread house kit. I convinced Esperanza that the candy was fake and was not edible despite how closely it resembled real candy. Yes, I'm a mean mama. About 10 minutes into our project though, I instinctively licked some icing off of my finger without even thinking. Busted! The task of putting together a gingerbread house is very messy. And not easy. The roof kept sliding off, the icing was very difficult to decorate tiny windows with and the walls even caved in once. We had a lot of fun putting it together though and in the end, it stood up on it's own.Christmas Jammies

I came across matching Christmas jammies for my kids at a thrift store. THE. BEST. FIND. EVER. I paid 7 dollars for both of them! Perfect condition, gender neutral, Childrens Place jammies, size 12 months and size 3T. They were in different sections of the store and I just happened to find them both. Score! These kids are the best little gifts ever! Oh Christmas Tree
We went and cut down a Christmas tree awhile ago. It was dusk and I forgot my camera, so no pictures of that very cold and uneventful moment. Once home, Esperanza and Ezra had fun looking at all the ornaments and decorating the tree We found a few 'safe' ornaments for Ezra to chew on She wanted me to take a picture of her with each and every ornament
What Christmas tree would be complete without a chili pepper ornament? Not ours.



Food For The Birds
We went for a walk to find pinecones in the neighborhood (off topic side note: we've had the driest and sunniest December on record...my record anyways. It's been delightful!) Put peanut butter on oneThen we added bird seeds
And hung it up outside for the birdies. Fast forward a couple of weeks and we still haven't seen any birdies.



Santa
We took a trip to the mall for the sole purpose of getting a picture of the kids with Santa. I should have known better. Don't go to the mall, ever. Especially during holiday season, not even for a Santa picture. Esperanza was terrified of Santa. Ezra of course didn't care, just another warm lap to sit on. He got his picture taken but we didn't fork out the 25 bucks to buy it, especially since Esperanza wasn't in it. Lesson learned. When we got back home, Esperanza took a nap and I planted myself in front of the computer and put together a personalized Santa video for Esperanza through a website. You answer a few questions about your kid, they plug the info in and wah-lah - you've got a video to prove to your kid that Santa's watchin them. Her eyes were big. She didn't say a word the entire time. She would look away from the screen every now and then only to look at me with huge eyes that were saying 'where the heck did this guy come from and how does he know so much about me?' I chose to put her on the 'naughty' list. The video came to a part where Santa said something like 'I know you want a certain special toy for Christmas, and there's still time for you to be a good girl...'. While he was saying that, the video showed a picture of some generic toy, which was supposed to represent whatever it is she wants for Christmas. After the video was over, I reminded her of what Santa said. Her response, 'Well, thats not the toy I want anyways.' Sheesh! Nice try mama. She did tell me later that evening that she was scared of Santa. Who can blame her. The one special toy that Esperanza wants...and these are her exact words, not mine..."I want a BIG Woody". Toy Story Woody of course.

A blurry photo of her watching her Santa video


2 comments:

Jessica said...

That last part about the video made me laugh!! I love that you put her on the naughty list and she didn't care about the toy. Oh kids crack me up!! Catching up on your blog as I have apparently missed several posts this month.

Jessica said...

Oh and if she didn't get a big Woody, she can the one Nicholas got from his Grandma. It is apparently his least favorite gift. I ask him if he wants to hold it and he says no every time :)