We had to cut Esperanza's hair. The hair from the pigtail that got caught in the mixer the other night really got mixed up. I spent hours trying to untangle it. It was a massive swirl of tangles, dreaded basically. It was a small section of hair, but significant enough that I couldn't just cut it out and hope it blended in. After tons of conditioner, peanut butter, coconut oil, various different brushes, combs and techniques...not to mention a lot of tears shed from Esperanza, I gave up. As I've mentioned before, Esperanza has wanted her hair cut. I, on the other hand, couldn't bear to let go of her long ringlets of hair. I'd been defeated though. Over the past few weeks she has gotten gum and silly putty in her hair but I desperately managed and was able to avoid cutting it. The longer her hair got, the curlier it got, and I love it (loved...sigh). When I gave up and asked her if we should go get it cut, she said yes. I cried. Maybe not at that exact same moment, but I did cry. I wanted to be happy while we were at the salon getting her hair cut, so I got it out before we left. And, I'm seriously fighting back tears as I write this. When her teacher saw her hair for the first time after the hair cut, her mouth dropped, then she softly asked in a very sad voice, 'Whyyyy Mami'. I almost burst into tears again. I miss those locks so much. That whole mixer event is definately a lesson for me more than it is for Esperanza.
We went to a hair place just for little ones. She got to pick a car to sit in while she got her hair cut and chose the Barbi Jeep. She also could have picked her own movie to watch while getting her hair cut too, but she said she didn't want to watch one. She did however end up watching her neighbors Winnie The Pooh movie.
Snip, snip - snivel, snivel
No more long, beautiful ringlets
They gave us a keepsake First Haircut Certificate as well as a lock of hair, and I requested to keep the big dreaded lock of hair too.
Long day I guess...and look, there's one lil' ringlet left! The rest of it is pretty straight with a little bit of a curl on the bottom.
Esperanza doesn't really have much to say about her hair being short now. She had no attachment to it like the rest of us did. Now she can easily run a brush threw it herself, and when I brush it, it takes seconds rather than forever. She looks so much older now too for some reason. I guess it fits her new big sister role. 
No comments:
Post a Comment