Sunday, May 17, 2009

Compost, Sunshine, and Relaxation

Yay! I finally got pictures uploaded. Below are several new posts with pictures and stories from the past few weeks, beginning from the most recent...
This past Friday and today (Sunday) Esperanza and I spent the day outside enjoying the beautiful sunshine. On Friday I did a lot of gardening while she played on a blanket in the yard. After a couple of unscary, but not fun choking events, I decided this isn't the year for her to dig in the dirt with me. Too many rocks and other objects that she wants to put in her mouth. So, since she's not entirely mobile just yet, I'm able to set her on the blanket while I garden. The mini baby jail (aka - the portable pack n play we never use) will come outside with me when she can crawl.
Since I did very little gardening last year due to my excuse of being pregnant, hot and unable to bend over or get up easily in the garden during that time, I've had some compost sitting in one of my bins for probably almost 2 years now getting yummier and yummier by the day. Even though the soil here is already great, I thought I'd beef it up in a few areas with my compost. If I remember correctly, it was mostly veggie/fruit scraps, shredded paper and leaves. The only thing that didn't compost were some 'compostable plastic bags' (which obviously didn't do what they said they would), shredded plastic (probably from the plastic film on envelopes you get in the mail), and avacado seeds (are they really called seeds? Maybe pods?). The rest of it composted very nicely. See for yourself.

Happy worms


The last little bit of it



Spreading the Love

Today, we sat in the front yard in a shady area and just relaxed. Because I wasn't in the mood to garden (or burn my shoulders more than I already did on Friday), I got the camera out and took some lovely pictures of my adorable little girl.

Don't ask, I have no idea what she's doing here.

No comments: