Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Those Little Rascals

We had a fun filled weekend. Our home was trampled by several sets of little feet running and jumping around all weekend, including an uninvited guest. 
Rafa, Kiko, Celeste and Grandma Angelina came over and spent the entire weekend with us. The kids had a lot of fun reading books, playing board games, helping me cook, watching movies, creating messes and...anticipating St. Patrick's Day. 
I've never done much for the green holiday in the past, besides drink green beer and maybe wear a green hair scrunchi. Kids have a way though of making almost any day magical even for adults. It all started when Rafa saw a small little picture of a leprechaun on an ad in the corner of my computer, "What is that?", he asked with curiosity. I wasn't really prepared with an answer, nor do I even know a whole lot about this particular fairy creature or Irish folklore myself. The Gill Irish in me came through though and I told some pretty good stories about leprechauns. Before I knew it, I was closely surrounded by 3 wide eyed preschoolers asking non-stop questions about leprechauns and St. Patrick's Day. I covered the basics and came up with some creative extras - from the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to wearing green so the little old green guys don't pinch you. Esperanza and Kiko were thrilled with this new wonder of  these small, mischievous, old, green, magical men! Rafa was a little apprehensive. Actually, he was downright scared. He did not want leprechauns coming into the house and possibly pinching him. I had to assure him that Lucy (the cat) would guard the house and we'd lock all the doors to keep the leprechauns from coming inside. This was Friday night. On Saturday, we talked a little bit more about leprechauns throughout the day and the kids' anticipation grew. I really had no plans on doing anything other than tell stories, but then when the kids all were asleep, I decided to pull out a few little tricks.

Rafa and Esperanza playing on the top bunk bed while Kiko reads a book on the rocking chair
 Playing Candyland
I taught Celeste how to make laundry detergent. She was eager to learn and amazed at how easy and cheap is it. 

This is what we woke up to on Sunday morning
A pot o' green leprechaun pee!
Slimy green footprints were everywhere
Our visitor either had one leg or two left feet
handicap or not, it didn't stop the little fella from making a big mess out of the kids' dresser
He did leave a small pot of gold at the end of the green footstep trail. Each of the kids also woke up with a tiny green mark on their face. Our leprechaun visitor must have given each of them a little kiss while they were sleeping.



  Ezra wasn't so sure about all this
These 3 looked for 4 leaf clovers
 and they all went on a leprechaun hunt in the back yard
 We packed up and went to a park to see if we could find any leprechauns there




 We ended the day at the farmers market where we did see some interesting characters, but no leprechauns. 

Next year we might have to try setting up some traps

Monday was green day at school and I was able to convince Esperanza to wear my old dress


Of the many, many questions I was faced with, Esperanza wondered if there might be mermaid leprechauns. After some searching, we found what we decided could be a mermaid leprechaun

No comments: