Monday, August 13, 2012

My First Garage Sale

I held my very first garage sale a couple weekends ago. Over the past few years, we've accumulated so many 'things'. From electronics and books to baby gear and toddler toys, our garage has become so full it's hard to walk around in - not to mention totes and totes full of clothes and shoes! Tons of clothes that needed to go. Somewhere. Anywhere. Plus, cash is pretty scarce these days for us. The planning and prepping began. Armando even made some pretty cool garage sale signs that we put up around town to direct people towards the sale. I shamelessly advertised all over the place - craigslist, my Facebook wall and about a half dozen Facebook group sites I am part of.

The weekend of the sale came, along with an intense heat wave. Armando had to work the entire weekend so it was just me and the kids. Having a garage sale, alone with a 4 year old and a 1 year old 3 days in a row was not easy. I had to get up before Ezra to set up, find time and a way to cook breakfast, lunch, dinner, put Ezra down for his nap, deal with regular everyday kid stuff but still be front and center when people came to browse, ask questions and buy things. Whew! It was a lot of work. My mom did come over for a couple hours one afternoon to help and I had a several friends stop by to visit. In the end, it really was worth it. I cleared out some space in the garage, created donation piles of things to get rid of and organized other things to store more neatly in the garage. Plus, since it was all out and displayed, I took pictures of all the bigger ticket items we had and posted them on a few of the various Facebook group sale sites. Things sold consistently very quickly that way. As for the money aspect of it, I did WAY better than expected and now have some unexpected cash that I plan on using to stock up on some fresh, healthy and local meat to freeze and have to eat over the winter. 




 My old school gangster rap tapes from those days that I was sooo cool! I did sell a few - well, traded for some fresh farm eggs (my chickens aren't laying yet)
Baby stuff
 Ezra had a great time getting into things
 The kids played in the pool and the sprinkler a lot that weekend





No comments: