On our way back to Colima from Malaque, we stopped back by Dora's in-laws house. They offered to take us to see the banana plantation they own. I was giddy! It was so cool. It was also one of the many times during our 3 week Mexico adventure I REALLY wished I spoke and understood more Spanish. I had so many questions and Armando wasn't super excited about being my translator. I did manage to convince Armando to ask a few of them for me and found this out. They do not use any kind of pesticides/fungicides or other chemicals on their bananas, the plants, soil or anywhere. Yay! The bananas are always picked while they are green and ripen after a week or two. The white bags you see over the bananas keep the bugs from getting them while they grow. It was VERY hot (I didn't need any translation for that). Though I didn't get to have any one on one conversation with any of the workers (again, that communication gap), it did look like hard work, mostly because it was so hot. I should have written this up a long time ago because I don't remember much more specifics about the banana growing process. I do remember it was a highlight of my trip. When else would I have ever gotten to take a banana plantation tour? Never. We left with a box of green bananas. Here are some pictures...
No comments:
Post a Comment