For just a few more days, I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. They are basically 3 years apart, and I am so very grateful for that age gap. But it's kind of fun during this month and a half, thinking of Esperanza and Ezra as only 2 years apart. With Ezra walking now, and them both getting older, they are playing with each other and having fun together more and more. They also have their little battles and cry a lot as expected. They are building that eternal loving sibling bond and it's so amazingly cool to watch it grow each day. Esperanza wants whatever he has, and he wants whatever she has. Esperanza wants to eat her food with her fingers like he does. He wants to play with teeny-tiny toys and color with chalk and paint like she does. They roll around on the floor together, laughing and giggling. Esperanza will play peek-a-boo with him and they both laugh so hard. Esperanza will hold his hand while he walks around the house, helping him keep his balance and sometimes helping him loose his balance. He'll often get knocked over when they play together because Esperanza gets too excited and plays a bit rough for him at times. Sometimes, Esperanza can't make up her mind about how much Ezra she wants - one day she wants his carseat in the middle next to hers, then the next she's screaming that he's hitting her and she wants him moved farther away. Esperanza is constantly snatching toys out of his hand. In retaliation, he screams soooo loud at the very top of his lungs. If there is anything close to him that he can pick up, he'll pick it up and throw it while screaming. Sometimes, when he's upset and crying over something unrelated to what Esperanza has done, Esperanza will attempt to comfort him. She'll bring him a toy or his blanket he's attached to. She'll hold his hand or pat him on the back and say, "poor baby, it's okay". They are my favorite 2 people in the entire world!
Esperanza trying a pair of her clip on earrings on Ezra
They do play well together sometimes
Pushing Ezra around in her doll stroller
Picking flowers together and sharing
Esperanza never wants to take a bath. But she always ends up in the tub anyways because Ezra is taking a bath. And anything I'm doing with Ezra, has to involve Esperanza. Baths usually don't last long though because they both want to sit in the same place of the tub and to play with the same toy. After a short time, things escalate to screaming and crying and it's over. If I'm there 'super' supervising, it lasts a little longer.
The other day, I was laying on the couch reading a book, while the kids played in front of me on the floor in the living room. Esperanza was frustrated because Ezra was getting into everything that she was playing with (very typical). To help her out, I blocked off a little corner for her to play in where Ezra couldn't get to her and her things.
She still kept complaining though "Mom! Ezra's looking at me", "he's touching the fence", "mom, will you come get him?", "I don't like him anymore!", "he's going to get me", "I want him to go away" - on and on and on. I tried to ignore it but then eventually I became a little too annoyed and without even thinking about my words and how they might be interpreted, I blurt out "Esperanza, do you not want a little brother anymore?". I had set my book down and was looking at her when I said it, so I didn't miss an instant of her reaction. She had a very blank stare at first. Then I saw her expression change slowly as her mind began working. Her angry and frustrated look slowly formed into a smile eyes beaming with hope. She says to me not a bit of humor in her words - "MOM, you should put him back into your belly!!!"
Um, No.


No comments:
Post a Comment