Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Spanish With Sarah

This week Esperanza started preschool at a place in Camas called Spanish With Sarah. It's a Spanish immersion school so the teacher speaks to the kids only in Spanish. The school year started the beginning of August, so she missed the first two weeks. Though it wasn't a last minute thought to put her in this preschool, it was a last minute decision because I hadn't realized they started as early as they did. I scoped the place and website out about 6 months ago and kept going back and forth on getting her in this year or waiting one more year. I talked with Sarah last week about the program and got some questions answered. They just happened to have an open spot in the preschool class too. We went and toured the place last Friday and met Esperanza's teacher Gabby, a young woman from Guatemala. Then, Esperanza started her first day of preschool just this past Monday.


Esperanza in front of the school house
I was so surprised and relieved at how well the first day of drop off went. Neither Esperanza, nor I, broke down crying! I'm sure they've seen it all at the school, but I envisioned an embarrasing and awkward scenario of Esperanza screaming and crying, throwing herself on the floor, holding onto me for dear life & begging me not to leave her there. I had my own seperation anxiety with just the idea of dropping her off at a new place with new people. When the moment of truth came though, she gave me a hug and kiss, said 'bye mama, pick me up later' then turned around and ran off to go play. I almost froze with shock but then quickly left before she changed her mind. Lets hope every day goes as smoothly as that first day!

Esperanza just before we left the house on her first day of school!


No comments: