Thursday, October 29, 2009

Harvest Isn't Over Yet

A couple of weeks ago my mom found an apple orchard up the gorge to pick apples at. Mom, George, Mary, Yoshi, Esperanza and mom's dogs all headed up the gorge one evening with a ladder, rakes, buckets and bags to get the apples. It was a nice place and I got enough apples to make a few quarts of applesauce. I think my mom got more. I spent a day and a half peeling, coring, cooking, pureeing then freezing applesauce. I was going to can them, but I had run out of jars and lids from canning tomatoes (more on that below). Next year I'm going to start my search for apples earlier in the season, as these weren't the best apples, but they were free.
I couldn't figure out the 'dusk/night' setting on my camera for the life of me. Thanfully, Mary had her camera and got some good shots. There is so much I love about this 'domesticated stay at home mama/wife' thing. Having time in the kitchen to preserve and cook fresh, clean, local in-season foods is definately on the top of that list. Anyone who comes over often knows that I am almost always in the kitchen cooking and eating something. I HEART food!
A couple of weeks ago Armando brought home loads of tomatoes from his uncle's garden. I spent several evenings blanching, peeling, cutting, boiling and canning tomatoes. It was awesome! I messed up a little on one batch, forgetting to add the lemon juice. So that went in the freezer instead. Now, the pantry and freezer are stocked with tomatoes. Next up are persimmons! I know very little about persimmons but I have access to some at a friends house and plan to make jam I think...if I don't eat them all. I just saw persimmons at the store for $1.00 EACH.

No comments: