Saturday, September 5, 2009

1 Year Check-Up

On Wednesday I took Esperanza in to Catherine for her 1 year check up (it's never too late right?). Our appointment was at 9:00 am and I had to wake Esperanza up at 8:20 so we could leave. She is a night owl and will sleep in until 9 or even 10! Keep in mind though, she really doesn't sleep at night. I won't vent in this particular post about our continued sleep issues...Anyways, she was in a zone the whole drive to Portland and then was fussy during the entire check-up. I did manage to ask all of my questions, chat a bit with Catherine as well as get the routine checks done on Esperanza without too many problems. She calmed down long enough to play on the floor with some blocks and other toys. As she was playing, Catherine was observing her, as it was part of the 'check-up' I guess cause Catherine made notes and said that she was just where she is supposed to be. Esperanza also got her second DTaP shot (ugh - I HATE everything about vaccines but this is the only one I can slightly justify giving her). In the end, Esperanza is healthy - she weighed in at 18.2 pounds, 72 cm in length and a 45 cm head. Yes, a petite little thing...looks like the car seat will continue to face backwards for awhile.
Esperanza giving our cat Lucy a big hug later that day
And there is a sad part to the story...now that Esperanza is on state health rather than the employer paid expensive health care we had when I worked for the City of Vancouver, this was our last visit with Catherine. Sad. I love Catherine and Nora. I love A Gentle Beginning. I love how supportive they are in all my parenting decisions. I love their clinic - which is the beautiful, cozy, warm and comfy house in the picture at the top. I love all the people who work for them and all that they do and represent. And of course, I loved having a home birth with them. And now, I'm actually terrified of going to see a conventional nurse practitioner or pediatrician because I don't know what to expect. I had a horrid expereince with a conventional clinic in the past...but even besides that, it's all foreign to me and I have what is probably an unfair judgement of the whole system now. I can't help but wonder if they will question rather than support my choice to not vaccinate and try push me to do them and make me feel guilty for not. And I'm not looking forward to whatever drugs and antibiotics they might tell me to give Epseranza when she is sick or has an infection. I'm used to being given brilliant natural home remedies or homeopathic options. Fortunately, Catherine is of course still open to my phone calls for advice and will continue to be a resource to me and my family. I'll have to just find a balance I suppose. If any of my readers use a primary pediatrician for their child in the Vancouver area (I think the Vancouver Clinic is where I have to go) that they would recommend and that might fit my needs and family, please leave a comment. Thank You!
Catherine (left) and Nora (right)

1 comment:

ENDub said...

I'm sorry to hear your struggle with the new adjustment in Esperanza's healthcare. I can only imagine what that would feel like. I hope you do find a balance and a physician you like. I really like our Dr. for the boys. His name is Dr. Steven Miller and he's with the Vancouver Clinic. I have vaccinated the kids, but not on schedule, and he has been supportive of my decisions. He has 3 boys and has vaccinated all of them and does believe in vaccines, but he's not pushy and will see her as a patient even if you choose not to stay on schedule or vaccinate her at all. Let me know if you decide to go see him.