skip to main |
skip to sidebar
The Fourth in the Forest
We camped in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest close to Mt. St. Helens this past Fourth of July weekend. There were roughly 30 of us that went, all close family and friends. It was primative with no bathrooms or running water (other than the Lewis River close by). Our camp site was no where near any other camp sites so we felt like the entire forest was all ours (shared with whatever creature howls at night - an elk maybe). As always, I overpacked for the adventure and felt almost at home with all the stuff we had. We could have done without the play pen and most of the cooking supplies I brought since everyone else brought the same things. I was most thankful for the homemade bug repellent I made and brought with us. It turned into a huge hit with everyone else too - other than Armando, nothing keeps the bugs from his blood. I was also thankful that I brought ~please forgive me Mother Earth~ disposable diapers. Yes, I gave in and bought disposable diapers and disposable wipes for the trip. It was the first time I've ever used disposables with Esperanza and while it was convenient and they actually worked pretty well with no strange rashes or reactions, I went right back to the cloth as soon as we got home (although, I've decided I'll keep the wipes around for the poopy diapers from now on). Ok, back to camping - since we hadn't camped for awhile, I'd forgotten how much I really wanted sleeping bags and some type of sleeping mattress/pad for camping (lying down nursing in the middle of the night on the forest floor is NOT comfortable). I do see those things in my near future for the next camping trip though. We ate a lot of really good food, sat in a circle around the fire and told stories, played games, went to the river, hiked through the forest, and really enjoyed the trip away from the city and fireworks. Esperanza did amazingly well and I'm already looking forward to our next adventure in the woods. Part of the gang
Gizelle and Brandon playing Uno
Me and Little E
Clarissa & Brandon
Lisa and Lazzy
About a mile down the hill from our camp site was a really nice spot on the Lewis River. We hiked down several times so we could all swim and get some sun. The water was very cold, colder than the Washougal River at Dougan Falls. Everyone still enjoyed it though and the hike back up the hill always made us wish we were back at the river. Mando's sister Cathy and her daughter Clarissa
Mando with Esperanza
Me with naked baby and cold beer
The river was all ours
some of the kids playing on the rocks and in the water
Mando, Chilly and Esperanza in the water
A beautiful view with Esperanza and Mando
Lovely Foxglove were everywhere
The hike back up
1 comment:
I'm glad you had a wonderful wkend getaway with family and friends. I could have helped you out with the sleeping bags! We have some you can have. They just need to be washed... after I find them! You look so cute in braids!
Okay, so do share your recipe for bug repellent!! Please, I need some!
Loves, Mom
Post a Comment