We started off our roadtrip early in the morning on Tuesday, July 23. We traveled East along I-84...for hours, and hours....and hours. A few stops were made along the way. We stretched our legs, took in some views, got some gas and kept driving along. We decided to stop in a small town called Mountain Home, Idaho for the night. We found a little motorhome park and as soon as we got out, Ezra ran through the sprinklers that were on next to our spot. It was hot outside! Then, we went and got some dinner then settled in for the night.
Early the next morning, we set out towards Craters of the Moon. We left the camp spot around 6 am. The kids were still sleeping, I had made coffee and it felt nice to be driving so early in the morning, watching the sun come up as we drove onward towards whatever adventure awaited us for the day.
As the kids began to stir, we stopped at a lookout to take in some views and let the kids out to stretch. I got them both simple digital cameras that I gave them that morning and they started taking pictures. We got back in and kept on driving. The kids played on the bed while we drove. We stopped again about an hour later to check out the lava rock we began to see all over the landscape.
We reached The Craters Of The Moon National Monument around 9:30 am and we started off our adventure climbing up a big lava rock mountain called the Inferno Cone. The kids strapped on the water backpacks I got them and we all climbed to the top of the futuristic looking mountain. It was hot, but we were all full of positive energy so it didn't take us long. We enjoyed the scenery, sat under the big juniper tree, took some photos then headed back down. Ezra ran down!!
Next we set off towards the Caves Trail. We decided we would explore the easy cave called Indian Tunnel. The hike in wasn't too bad, the kids complained a bit because it was so hot. The complaining got a little more intense as the hike went on, but overall, the kids did really well, had a lot of fun exploring the tunnels and caves. It was a huge temperature drop once we got into the tunnel so the kids were a lot happier there. Ezra had a ton of fun climbing the rocks. He bonked his head once while going into a narrow cave, but recovered quickly and moved on. Esperanza whined a bit, mostly about the heat. I just loved the place!! It was so cool! I hope to go back again sometime soon. I'd love to stay for a couple of days rather than a couple of hours. The rangers at the ranger station said they do evening star programs and there are camping sites for motorhomes in the area too.
We made it back to the motorhome, made some lunch and got back on the road. The next stop...
Grand Teton National Park!
No comments:
Post a Comment