How it happened, I do not know. All of the sudden the cute, squirmy, helpless, tiny baby I once cradled in my arms is now a playful and quizzical young girl striving to gain independence and take on responsibilities. The terror toddler who once threw screaming and kicking temper tantrums on the floor in the middle of the library and grocery store while I stood back and pretended I didn't know her has matured into a whimsical, free spirited 5 year old. Esperanza is 5 years old! Cinco Anos! I'm so excited about this age for some reason. It feels like we are embarking on a whole new chapter of adventures and journeys. Her interests and level of curiosity in things are changing. Her comprehension and perspective on the world and her surroundings seem to have skipped several levels over night. I feel like I missed something and have this eagerness to catch up somehow. I feel overwhelmed all of the sudden with the types of things we should be experiencing and learning together. Conversations I should have with her, things I have yet to introduce to her - places, people, things to see and discover. I am reminded that I am responsible for molding this little person, with a clean slate into a big person - a woman filled with and armed with all-the-things-I-am-responsible-for-teaching-her. Whew, welcome to motherhood again. I will slow down, and will continue to enjoy each passing moment as it arrives. I'm reminded more than anything that time passes much too quickly. Anyways, I am overjoyed with a bulging heart full of love for this girl. She amazes me!
As usual, we had a celebration of life for Esperanza, on her birthday this year.
Nail painting by Aunt Mary
Face painting (Selena painting skulls on her dads face)
Whats up with all the skull face paintings?
Friend Kiera and Esperanza
Cake time
Sadee, Kiera and Esperanza
Here's to another fun and fulfilling year with my favorite little girl!

No comments:
Post a Comment