Monday, July 15, 2013

Summer Reading

With the exception of the time we spent with family in Ohio last week, we've been reading a lot lately. The Camas Library has a summer reading program that rewards kids with prizes the more they read, or are read to. I signed both my kids up and we've probably read more books in the last month than we have in the last 5 years, or at least close. Funny how things like 'prizes' motivate kids to do things. 
Tonight, Esperanza wanted to read 5 books. We read 2 chapters out of Charlotte's Web while the kids were in the tub (we only have 1 chapter left to finish. I need a to check out a new age appropriate chapter book soon. Ideas?) then we read these 4 other shorter books before bed. The kids LOVE the Narnia pop up book (Thank you Geneva - and kids)!!! It'll still be awhile before my kids are old enough to enjoy the actual Narnia chapter books, but this pop up picture book with short narratives will never get old. We need more books like this!


 Most of the books we read are from the library and have been returned (or are hiding under beds or couch cushions), so I can't remember all of the titles. Recently, my sister and her kids loaned us their amazing collection of children books so we've been slowly reading those as well. We also have our own small collection of books. Here are a few other books we've read in the past few days.
 We never leave the library without at least one princess book

I think we're already pretty close to getting our prizes! I might have to create our own family reading incentive in the future.

No comments: