I know little to nothing about raising chickens. But I'm about to learn. My neighbor and I went and picked up 10 baby chicks today. 2 Barred-Rock, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Sex-Links (one black and one golden). We couldn't find any Ameruacanas, which are the ones that lay blue and green eggs. The Orpingtons are 2 weeks old and the others are 3 or 4 days old. My neighbors family and mine will be turning the side yard in between our houses into the chicken yard sometime very soon. Her husband says he's going to build the chicks a home. Hopefully he's serious because these baby chicks won't stay small forever. For now, they are in a corner in my living room snuggled up in a big plastic Rubbermaid tub with a warming light, bedding, food and water. This is our flock and the new members of our family....


This is one of the Buff Orpingtons. Her sisters name if Fluffy but we haven't named her yet.

Esperanza named this Speckled Sussex Flower
Esperanza named this Black Sex-Link chick Negra (means Black in Spanish)
Lilie (neighbor girl) named the Golden Sex-Link chick Goldilocks
Here's the set-up. Hopefully our cat Lucy will leave them alone. I've tried to introduce her to the chicks to get a feel for her intentions, but she acts like she doesn't have any interest. I'm thinking Lucy will be spending her nights outdoors for awhile.

We still have a few to name, but I'd like to wait to get to know them a little better. Expect to see more of these girls in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment