Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dying Easter Eggs

This year was our first time dying Easter eggs. For both of Esperanza & I. I honestly have no memory of doing this as a kid. But then again, I have a bad memory. Maybe a sister or my mom can refresh my memory? Anyhow...last year I felted Easter Eggs and decided against dying. This year, I came across several articles and information on easter egg dying with foods. I had a lot of the optional ingredients already in my fridge & freezer that had met the end of their edible days. So off we were with brewing up some easter egg dying concoctions.


1) Blueberry/blackberry mixture, 2) red cabbage, 3) spinach & 4) tumeric/orange spice tea combination simmering on the stove for awhile

After simmering, we strained the food out of the water and soaked hard boiled eggs in the concoctions overnight in the fridge...

And here were our results in the morning Who would have thought red cabbage would produce such a bright blue colored egg?

That evening, we went to my moms for dinner. Esperanza had to bring her eggs to show grandma, and of course I let her. When we got there, she not only wanted to show grandma and grandpa her cool eggs...but the dogs too. And wouldn't you know it, the dogs love to eat hard boiled eggs. I decided it could just become tradition from now on to dye hard boiled easter eggs to feed to grandmas dogs.
The next day I decided to do another batch, just a little different. Same dying process, but I blew out the egg yolk/white. That way, Esperanza could carry around her eggs all day long without me thinking of how bad they would smell from rotting soon, and we can save them for next year too (and they wouldn't get eaten by the dogs). I got the idea to add some sparkles to a few of the eggs from my sister too.


Aren't they pretty!

1 comment:

ENDub said...

Those are the most beautiful dyed eggs I've ever seen! Well done. I think I'll give this a go next year!