Saturday, March 26, 2011

Potty Time

Everyone said it would happen when she was good 'n ready. And that it did. Every few months for the past year and a half, I've put a little potty out for a few days and encouraged Esperanza to use it, with very little expectation. She'd get excited about something new and would use it a couple of times. Then she'd realize that she really didn't like it all that much and away it would go again for another month or two before it would make an appearance again. Around the beginning of this month I brought it out and Esperanza used it a few times...and she kept using it every single time she had to go potty. Sometimes I wouldn't even know she needed to go potty and she'd just go use it all on her own. For the first week or so, we'd go through 6 or 8 outfits a day because she'd have an accident as she was learning how to control things. It's been about 3 weeks now and she's basically 'potty trained' with fewer and fewer accidents. One exception though is that she absolutely will not poop in the toilet. Pooping has always been an issue for her ever since she was a newborn. Every time she has to go poo, she asks me to put a diaper on her, and I do. That will be a process but I don't make it a big deal...maybe I will in a few years if it's still an issue. But everything else goes in the potty! We can leave the house with no diaper on, and she even has dry diapers when she wakes up in the morning and from naps, usually. Cheers to fewer diaper changes...at least until Blue arrives.
And like most of us, she likes her privacy

No comments: