Friday, February 5, 2010

Knitty Gritty Knitting Therapy


One night a couple of weeks ago, Anycia and I pulled out a few balls of yarn and several sets of needles. Together we thought we could figure out how to cast on to start some knitting projects. After several attemps, we got as far as the slip notch but could not get any stitches on. The next day, after I put Esperanza down for her nap, we hurried out of the house before Armando could, and made our way down the road to a local knitting shop, It's A Crewel World, for some help.

I went to the same place several months ago to get help casting off on my '3-year scarf' (which I'm proud to announce, if I haven't already, is completely finished and I've been wearing it ever since November). The owner, workers and even the customers who stroll through the knitting shop are the sweetest and nicest women. The lady who was working when Anycia & I went in was helping another customer with her knitting project when we got there. So we strolled around and looked at all the yarn - so many beautiful colors and textures of yarn line the walls from ceiling to floor. After buying an amazing locally hand knitted/felted wool hat (which Mando later told me made me look like Paddington), the woman at the counter spent about 3o minutes teaching Anycia and I how to cast yarn onto our needles. It's so easy, yet it's one of those things that is forgotten when you haven't done it for several years! I had started off by telling the woman that both Anycia and I were beginner knitters, and that we really wanted to re-learn how to cast on. Anycia, quick to correct me, said with pride and confidence 'she's a beginner, I know how to knit'. I just put my hand on her shoulder and smiled at the woman. We left the shop with a couple new balls of pretty yarn, the ability to cast on & the excitement of knowing that knitting something new was in our near future.

Anycia, me (Paddington) & Esperanza

Anycia went back home a day or two after that. I'm not sure if she began her knitting project or not. As for me, I've started several!!! Lots of practice projects, dish wash cloths and in just one week I've almost completed another scarf. I also went back to the knitting shop again to learn how to knit correctly (I like to twist my stiches) and signed up for a class to knit an entire sweater. I can't even explain how good it feels to have a skill and hobby that not only results in something I created, but it is also therapeutic to the mind, body, soul and spirit.
Me knitting my second and almost completed scarf

1 comment:

ENDub said...

Han, I just love this story and love that you have a hobby (well, I know you have many) that makes your soul sing. I can't wait to see all that you create. OH, and cute pictures. I couldn't quit laughing that Mando called you Paddington in that hat. You're an awful cute Paddington :)