Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yes * No * Maybe

Communication is such an important skill to have. If we could all communicate better, I really believe our individual lives as well as our entire world would be much more peaceful. I have my own work cut out for me as far as improving my communication skills, but this post isn't about me. It's about Esperanza and how she is learning to communicate things. She still doesn't talk much yet, other than a handful of random words, and only when she is in the mood to say those words. So, we're still kinda far from good verbal communication. Her prefered method of communication still involves the screaming and kicking temper tantrums. Lately though she's learned head gestures.

A couple of months ago Esperanza began shaking her head no when she wanted to communicate 'no'. It was pretty nice that she would shake her head rather than verbally say the word no (I've been around kids who say no way too much and it's pretty obnoxious). She knew when to use the gesture and when not too. She didn't know how to communicate yes at first so if I would ask her a yes or no question, and she didn't respond, I could rule out a definate no. There were many times that she would be fussing for something and I'd go through a list of questions; 'are you hungry?' - head shake no, 'are you tired?' - head shake no, 'are you cold?' - head shake no, 'are you thirsty?' - no response. I gave her water and everything was better. I can't tell you how many times I've put water in front of her and she's thrown it across the room because that wasn't what she wanted.

Then she began shrugging as a response to questions, leaning her head slightly to one side while that same side shoulder moved up then down. Though it doesn't give a clear meaning, it's pretty darn cute! Now, a few weeks after using the first no head shake, she's shaking her head up and down to say yes to things. I LOVE this! I asked her if she was poopy the other night (sometimes she farts and smells poopy when she really isn't), and I got a yes head shake. Poopy diapers usually aren't anything to get excited about, but that was one poopy diaper I changed with a smile.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Nicholas started communicating like this a couple months back and it's been my salvation! He's never been a temper tantrum boy, but it makes it so much easier to know what he wants!