Before we left to Costa Rica, I did a lot of research and planning to get ideas on fun family things to see and do. One blog post I came across was ranting and raving about a bridge with wild crocodiles hanging out under it.
I didn't add the crocodile crossing to my list of things go out of our way to see while there, and didn't even go as far as to remember where it even was, but as we were driving to Manuel Antonio from San Jose, we crossed a bridge and I immediately recognized it from pictures I had seen on the blog post. There was even a sign indicating that there could be crocodiles crossing the road. Armando thought I was a little crazy for wanting to go check it out, and Esperanza was in a terrible mood, screaming and crying and refusing to get out of the car. So Ezra and I walked out to the bridge and we were immediately astonished at the view we had. DOZENS of big, huge, real and wild crocodiles were just hanging out under us. It was amazing!
Armando and Esperanza didn't get to see them that day, but we knew we would be crossing the bridge again in a few days, and we'd try again then. After our unforgettable adventures in Manuel Antonio, we headed north and crossed the bridge again and this time we all got out to see the crocodiles laying beneath the bridge, some of them in the water, most of them basking in the sun...just waiting for a little kid to fall down to them. It was clearly a touristy type of attraction, as many other people were walking across the narrow bridge and taking pictures.
There was a little store near the bridge where we used the restroom and bought a few snacks. The kids each bought a necklace from a vendor on the side of the road as well. Esperanza got one with a small carved wooden crocodile, and Ezra got a crocodile tooth. The man said crocodile teeth bring good luck. I couldn't help but feel squeemish wondering how in the heck they got the teeth from the crocodile. A few days later, the crocodile tooth necklace was lost.









No comments:
Post a Comment