Saturday, June 7, 2014

Snakes To The Rescue

Slugs eat my strawberries. Actually, they take one or two little bites out of each and every strawberry. It is very frustrating to go out to my strawberry patch, see dozens of bright red juicy berries but then find a tiny slug bites in them all. All but one. This one berry was spared.
I recently heard that garter snakes eat slugs. Of course, I don't have an abundance of snakes in my yard, hence all the slugs. As I was telling my friend about this strawberry/slug issue over coffee at her house one morning, I mentioned to her that if only I had garter snakes, I wouldn't have such a bad slug problem. As luck would have it, she just happened to have a TON of garter snakes hanging out under a big black tarp in her yard. 
The kids (hers and mine) and us ladies had a ton of fun catching snakes. There were dozens of them. We figured it wouldn't hurt to re-home a dozen of them into my garden where they would have an abundance of slugs to feast on.




 Into the strawberry patch they go



After just a few days, I noticed a significant decrease in slugs and my berries are now whole. 

No comments: