Is it that time already? Esperanza is wanting to learn how to tell time! No. Not yet. Once you can tell time, you live your life, for the rest of your life, by the clock. When to wake up, when to eat, when to go to bed...work, school, appointments, meetings, other peoples schedules, when places open, when they close, etc. Life. I wish I could protect my kids from reality, just live our daily lives by the seasons, the sun and the moon, stay in this fantasy where the world really does just revolve around us...our small little bubble we call home.
I guess that would be dysfunctional by our societies standards though huh? So, what do you do? Armando bought her a digital watch. She's still learning to recognize numbers, especially the way digital numbers on a watch look. She still really does not have any true concept of time. She still does live in fantasy, and I relish these moments.
She is interested in learning about what time is, how many minutes are left until a certain event or happening will occur. She will say, "5 more minutes" when I tell her it's time for bed. But she doesn't really know what a minute even is still. She just hears other people talk about time and minutes and the clock, so naturally, her interest is sparked. She loves the watch. Every minute that went by on that watch on this first day she wore it, she let me know. It didn't take her long before she recognized almost every number. She told me the numbers in the order they were in each time they changed, and asked what time it was now. Every. Single. Minute.


No comments:
Post a Comment