Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Chillin' With The Kids - Part II

Esperanza and I stayed with Geneva and the kids for about a week. Their new home is cozy, comfortable and homey. I think though that when you have a bunch of kids in a house, it's hard for it not to feel that way. Our week long visit flew by. We spent a day wondering around downtown getting to know the area and on another day we strolled though the Saturday market looking at all the arts, crafts and produce. One of the days we spend driving around visiting the schools the kids will be going to this fall. It was so nice to be part of that, to have not just a connection with the kids' home, but to also know where they will be spending their days during the school year. The rest of the time we pretty much hung out around the house cooking, cleaning, playing with the kids and watching Geneva organize her new life and home.
On Saturday, I decided it was time for Esperanza and I to head home. Our sister Mary was on her way over to Geneva's so I felt a little torn between staying and going since she's been in California for the past 5 months and I missed her. I was getting home sick though and figured she'd eventually find her way to my place too. After our stroll through the Saturday market, Esperanza and I got on the freeway expecting an uneventful drive home. After 20 minutes on the road, Esperanza was fast asleep and I was cruising along daydreaming of being home when all of the sudden my jeep started making odd noises and eventually died by the time I pulled over to the side of the freeway.
To make a long story short, Geneva and the kids picked us up, I had the car towed back to her house and we stayed a few more days. It was the universes way of forcing us to stay and see Mary!

No comments: