Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Pulsatilla Baby

Pulsatilla is a delicate wild flower that sits on a thin stem, tossing and turning whichever way the wind blows it – it is often referred to as the ‘Wind Flower’. What does this delicate flower have to do with my baby? For one, Esperanza’s middle name is Flor which means Flower in English. So, it was only a matter of time before I discovered a specific flower to relate her with. The Pulsatilla flower connection was made just recently based on the following events:

Last weekend was a three day weekend for me and I thought I’d use it to try and get Esperanza into a different sleeping pattern and routine. I figured it would take at least three nights for it to work and knew I’d get little if any sleep. No worries to all you anti–CIO parents out there, I’m with ya and that’s not the method we tried. After planning and preparing for a few days, it ended up backfiring and was a complete disaster. After a long sleepless 'planned' Friday night, Saturday brought on intense coughing, sneezes, snivels and a fever in Esperanza. Ya think she was telling me something! As if I didn’t feel bad enough for what I had done the night before, that just pushed the knife in deeper. I think we pushed her to a limit we shouldn’t have and her body responded in one of the few ways it could to tell us what we were trying to do was a bad idea.
So, of course the original plan went out the window and we spent the weekend instead caring for and comforting our sick baby. Every parent probably handles things differently when it comes to their sick kids and I’m still discovering my own comfort level with things. But in general, the best remedy I’ve felt is best for myself and now my daughter is to just let things run a natural course allowing the body to heal itself without suppressing the illness with drugs – and of course provide extra love, attention and as much rest as possible. We had also recently picked up some tips and advice at this months parenting meeting which discussed First Aid, Safety, Naturopathic & Homeopathic care for children at home (if you’re interested, I can email anyone the electronic handout that has great info).

Even though both Mando and I felt confident Esperanza would eventually get better on her own, I went ahead and called Catherine (midwife / naturopath) for advice on the fourth day of her being sick and not showing much improvement. After describing all of Esperanza’s symptoms (tired, weepy, sad, needy, clingy, etc.), guess what she prescribed? Pulsatilla! In homeopathic form. I'm new to homeopathy and have just begun exploring and experimenting with it. So, before packing up the sick baby to run to the store to get it, I did a little research and was shocked that the description of Pulsatilla fit Esperanza to the T!!! And not just her ‘sick’ symptoms but really it nails her personality! I have trust in Catherine of course, but was amazed that after just a quick conversation over the phone she could pinpoint specifically what homeopathic personality trait Esperanza fit into. I guess thats why she's the professional huh. So, I bought the little white pills along with some Cherry Bark & Elderberry cough syrup, dosed Esperanza up, put some ‘warming socks’ on her and snuggled up in bed to nurse, hoping for the best. We did that same routine for two nights in a row (on the second night we added a 20 minute session in the bathroom breathing steam from hot water & Eucalyptus to loosen the congestion - I need a vaporizer) and this morning she woke with the sun bright and cheeful with no congestion or cough!

While it's hard to say that Pulsatilla did the trick alone, if it was the combination of remedies or if it was just Esperanza getting better on her own, Pulsatilla will forever be part of my medicine 'box' and maybe even a new addition to my yard.

Here’s a short video clip of how miserable Esperanza was a few nights ago, it’s pretty pathetic…

No comments: