Monday, October 27, 2008

Three Month Update

I can't believe it's been 3 months since my little girl was born - time goes by so much faster now that she's in my life. Though I am sad to see my tiny newborn baby girl grow so quickly into the chubby healthy baby she is today, I am also thankful to have survived the first three months. As most of you know either by witnessing it yourself or through my pleas for help and advice, she was a very fussy and colicky baby for about 2 1/2 months. I know I'm not alone in having had a colicky baby and maybe I complained about it more than others. But it just broke my heart to see her in so much pain and know that there was nothing I could do but stay calm and try my best to soothe her as she struggled with abdominal pain daily and nightly. While the herbal colic mix my midwives made us and eliminating all dairy from my diet did make a huge difference, really what she needed was time. Her very sensitive digestive system is much better now. I've stopped dosing her with herbs but I'm still terrified of consuming anything that has cows milk in it (goat milk fine, cows milk not so much). Maybe in a couple more weeks I'll try a little cows milk butter or yogurt and see what happens. For now, both Mando and I are thankful she is happy, healthy and feels good - though as any normal baby, she sure does still have her moments.
Here's a few fun tid bits about Esperanza:
  • She has one dimple on the upper left side of her mouth noticable when she smiles

  • She has what appears to be a really light birth mark on her tummy just to the upper right side of her belly button (just a shade darker than the rest of her skin)

  • Her skin is getting lighter and lighter - she was darker than most of her cousins the first couple of months but not any more.

  • Her eye color is still so hard to say. Today they are bluish-greenish-gray on the outside fading into a tannish color on the inside. They seem to change color daily though so it's just hard to know what they'll be for good.

  • She weighs probably about 13 pounds. I got on a scale to weigh myself then picked her up and weighed myself with her and determined that the difference is her weight. Not sure when I'll take her in next for a check-up (I think all those well baby check-ups are a waste of time, gas, energy and money - and thankfully my midwives/her providers agree)

  • She had her first cold already but it only lasted a few days

  • She HATES tummy time and I can't convince her it's good for her - any advice?

  • She's already wearing some 6-9 month clothing

  • She sleeps with her arms streatched out above her head

  • She is starting to pick up items when placed in front of her and put them in her mouth - though her hands are her favorite thing to put in her mouth (second to her food source)

  • I think her hair is going to be curly - OMG, I can't even do my own straight hair!

  • She had a tooth already. The interesting thing is though that it went back in. Armando is my witness, be both saw and felt it.

  • We're not piercing her ears but it'll probably be up for discussion once she's older. Oh, and no tatoos ever, no discussion.

  • She a chatter box and is cooing all the time - one of the cutest sounds she makes sounds like an owl - Whooo, Whooo
  • She's already 'daddy's little girl' - Mando is a stay at home daddy for now and the two of them are just lovin each other while I'm at work!

  • She laughs only sometimes, usually a quick giggle. It takes a huge amount of energy to get her to REALLY laugh hard, but it's possible.
  • She fights it hard to stay awake when she's tired. Afraid she'll miss something I guess

No comments: