Every couple of years, I put the kids, Armando, myself and one lucky photographer through the torturous process of having our pictures taken. It is almost always a close failure, with just a few good pictures resulting...which makes it all worth it. This year, was no exception. I even had to bribe the kids with $$ this time around. Yes, I gave them each $20 in exchange for them agreeing to family photos (they bought Pokemon stuffed animals for themselves and their cousins). I even brought hot chocolate and lollipops to the photo shoot in yet another attempt to make them happy. Of course, they were both still complaining and suddenly in a bad mood as soon as we got there the despite all the bribery. Hands in pockets, refusals to take off coats, looking away from the camera, not wanting to pose, silly expressions, serious crying and pouting when asked to get a picture of the two of them together (we got 1 decent one) and no good expressions at all during the tunnel shots. Esperanza is NEVER cold, yet somehow it was just too cold for her on this particular day, or so was her reason for the pouting. Really, though...it was actually very cold! They were just being their amazing selves, and it would be a shame to capture them pretending to be otherwise. They don't like pictures, that's just the way it is, and they proved it again. It's hard to believe any good shots came out of such a stressful half an hour. You would never know the story behind it by just looking at the pictures. We all survived, and in the end, I still got what I wanted - a few good photos of my family.
Photos by my friend and photographer Jenifer Johnston
No comments:
Post a Comment